RE: Developer "Best Practices" content

Subject: RE: Developer "Best Practices" content
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:11:13 +0000

"An inhabitant of a corner office has decided that our documentation lacks a page or section that would be Best Practices for programmers using our SDK. From my point of view, the entire SDK docs are what a customer/developer might want to know. Some years ago, that portion of the docs included a Tips and Tricks page until I was asked to remove portions that had become outdated. The whole thing went away."

Why was the tips and tricks page just "go away" after you were asked to update it? From what you said, it sounds like it was a maintenance hassle. Was it deemed that the customer no longer needed this information? Because to me, that is the ONLY thing that really matters.

Personally, I would rather have (see "kill for") a one page summary (cheat sheet) that helped me understand the stack of books in front of me, instead of being forced to read the entire stack of books to figure something out..

Ben

This email has been scanned by the IMRIS Email Security System

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help