RE: Operator Maintenance - Need word replacement for "maintenance"

Subject: RE: Operator Maintenance - Need word replacement for "maintenance"
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:02:25 -0400

Holly Deitelhoff wrote:

> I can not use words like "housekeeping", "maintenance", or
> "preventative maintenance" as the list heading where these operator
> specific functions are listed, as there are general housekeeping staff
> and maintenance personnel that also work the machine.

You're kidding me....is it Friday? Why can't you say Preventive Maintenance?
Isn't that what it is? I have a User Guide and a Service Manual. Both have
maintenance sections. In the User Guide, the maintenance section is titled
"Regular Maintenance." Procedures within that section that require trained
service personnel (versus trained user/operators) are identified with a note
stating that fact. The Service Manual is only for use by trained service
personnel. (My equipment uses lasers, robots, high pressure process gasses
and compressed air, and can injure or kill if safety policies are not
followed.) In the five years that I have been developing these documents
(and the 30 years' worth of documentation prior to my latest gig), I am not
aware of anyone being confused over what procedure they can or cannot
perform. As for the terms that you cannot use, I would ask the person who
says you cannot use them why you cannot use them and what they suggest to
use. Then, if the answer is wacko, stop off at the nearest pub after work.

Al Geist-Geist Arts, LLC
Fine Art Photography - Exceptional Note Cards
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Blog: www.gooterschmeltz.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

?We can?t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used to
create them." (Albert Einstein)

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help