Re: The Works

Subject: Re: The Works
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Becca <becca -at- di -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:04:37 -0700

Do you have access to the person who pitched the idea of documentation and the end clients?

In theory, "the works" is a doc set that satisfies everyone's wildest dreams and then some. It would help to know what everyone's wildest dreams actually are.

But you should be basing it on content, not delivery formats.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 8/14/2012 5:44 PM, Becca wrote:

I'm on the edge of starting an independent contract, documenting the interface to a fairly involved database. There will be 2, maybe 3 groups of users, none of whom can know anything about the other groups. When the person who is creating the database and the interfaces pitched the idea of documentation to his end-cllients, they got all excited, and now say they want "the works" - help files, PDFs, and what ever else I can think of that would be useful. (I am under an NDA so I can't talk more about the end product.)

I figure separate help files for each user group, and printable reference manuals, but other than that, I'm not sure what "the works" entails. Any suggestions, please, for additional documentation that would be useful?

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help