Re: Help with Gmail Filters

Subject: Re: Help with Gmail Filters
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:52:27 -0500

Yes; you can set up Gmail for a POP or IMAP client; I use Thunderbird on my desktop machine for two separate Gmail accounts, my domain account and a couple other accounts. They each go into a separate inbox in Thunderbird and I have message filters for each account to automatically deposit specific types of message into appropriate folders under the appropriate inbox. I have all my accounts set up to leave the messages on the server until I delete them.

I also have Thunderbird set up on my laptop but it's set up to always leave the messages on the server so they're only ever deleted from the server if I delete them with Thunderbird on my desktop. I also have Thunderbird set up on the laptop to BCC all my outgoing mail for each account to me so that if I send a message from the laptop, I'll have a copy of it when I get messages on my desktop. That way I always have copies of all my outgoing messages.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 8/29/2012 4:38 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

I'm not doing that, but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing instructions on the
Google site for configuring gmail to be readable through POP and IMAP
readerrs.

What I am doing is setting up my non-gmail accounts to forward mail to my
gmail account but also keep that mail on the default servers until I delete
it through Tbird at home. That way I can use gmail to read multiple
non-gmail accounts independently while out without changing the
availability of my mail at home. The downside of this setup is that I am
checking the same mail more than once a day but I find that to be
negligible.

Gene

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Steve Janoff (non-Celgene) <
sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com> wrote:

So Gene, are you saying you can use Eudora OSE as the front-end for Gmail
and leave your Gmail e-mail on the web?

I used Eudora for ages at home but when Gmail came on board, starting
leaving all mail in the cloud instead of downloading it. I prefer it that
way.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mike -at- writestarr -dot- com -dot-

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help