Connectivity two-up-man-ship, was (RE: cluttered desk - MacBook & PC systems...

Subject: Connectivity two-up-man-ship, was (RE: cluttered desk - MacBook & PC systems...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Lee Fisher <blibbet -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:37:33 -0400

And if you have to go to a Linux box, then !m (a.k.a. NoMachine NX )
works well.

As I sit here at home, looking out my window at the brilliantly crimson
bush in the neighbor's yard giving it's autumn last-hurrah (we have one,
too, but I'd have to be able to see through the wall behind me...),
I'm connected to the office via our company VPN.

Across two 24-inch monitors, in addition to 3 Word 2010 docs, two
LibreOffice docs, Outlook and Communicator chat (2 sessions going
right now), a few Notepad docs, three different browsers, and several
windows into our corporate source-control and bug-tracking system,
I also have:

a) a Remote Desktop session to a Windows Server 2008R2 VM on
a server in our engineering lab, where I'm running MadCap Flare,

b) a Remote Desktop session to a Windows server VM on a different
server in the testing lab, where I and the other writer keep our source
and published output from Flare, along with a web server to serve the
output to reviewers

c) a NoMachine session to the CentOS box in my cubicle at the office,
where I'm just now (remotely) installing the latest build of our product
software, so I can record the install sequence, and then capture the
latest workings of that software with our new product hardware.

Later, I'll open yet another...
d) Remote Desktop session to the Windows box in my cubicle at the
office (it's on the desk just above the CentOS PC in item c) above,
which is on the floor), where I'll install that same new software build
and try it against a sample of our hardware that's installed in the
Windows PC.
>From that box, I will open a Command Prompt window to work with
the installed company product sample inside that PC, while also opening
an SSH (PuTTY) connection from that box to administer the networked
appliance mentioned above, and I'll be using TLS as the conduit of
the Client software to that same box. And if all goes well, the installed
card will then be persuaded to do some transactions with the networked
appliance, and possibly the two will be configured into an HA group.

Oh, and I've got three SSH windows open (PuTTY) on my local (laptop)
desktop to two of our networked products - yes, two sessions into one
of the boxes, so I can compare how the experience differs if one is
logged in as the Admin user or as the Audit user. The third session is
to another appliance, which is configured to accept a different type
of authentication, and I need to see how the interface differs there,
too.

Tomorrow, I'll install the latest Client s/w on my laptop here, connect
a device called a PED, and remotely-and-securely authenticate to an
HSM (hardware security module... it's an encryption and data security
thing) at the office. Cool.

My MacBook Pro is upstairs from where I'm sitting, and I don't allow
it to connect to anything work-related... even assuming it could be
made to do so. :-)
But tonight, I'll use the MBP to log into the dashboards at a couple of
hosting providers, where I'll manage/update my websites.

Life is virtually full. Remotely speaking.

Or perhaps I meant:
Life is remotely full. Virtually speaking. :-)

Oh, and just over 10 years ago, I wouldn't have really understood
what I just said, above, never mind taking it in stride as my daily
work environment. Booyah!

Oh, oh, and if the company was a little more comfortable in widespread
use of Citrix, I could use my phone to do some of the above... or my
BlackBerry Playbook tethered to my phone's WiFi hotspot. Certainly
I can, and do, use the phone or PlayBook-and-phone to manage my
personal, recreational websites. It's just the work stuff I can't do (yet).

Cluttered desk, indeed. Ahem. Coff-coff...

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help