RE: Marking index entries in MS Word

Subject: RE: Marking index entries in MS Word
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <mihailokostich -at- aim -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:44:42 -0400

Mihail Okostich complained about "Marking index entries in MS Word"
"... but the markers are visible and they're throwing off my formatting and
page flow. So obviously I'm doing something wrong?:..."I'm also wondering,
since my documents have pretty similar content, once a list of markers has
been successfully generated, is there a way to import or transfer a list of
markers from one document to another?
_______________________________
Mihail:
When you insert index markers, you are inserting "hidden text". You can
control what shows under Tools>Options>View>Formatting marks. Check o
uncheck the Hidden text box. You have to have the hidden text showing when
you enter the index markers, but you make it hidden again before you print
or view the layout for bad page breaks, etc. The index markers can be hidden
when you run the index.

You can include all your headings in the index by simply inserting index
markers before and after each heading. If you have index entries that do not
include visible text (like existing headings), you can copy those entries
from one document to another, but you have to insert them on the appropriate
pages, or they won't indicate the right pages in the printed index. You
can't just copy the list, unless you go to the trouble to update the page
numbers manually, which would probably more work than inserting new entries
in successive documents.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.

See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post. http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps