RE: TWs and Dedicated terminals?

Subject: RE: TWs and Dedicated terminals?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:28:24 -0400

Well, I understand that WYSE has always (and continues to be) Wyse in the ways of Healthcare.
Just wasn't sure if any other sector still had some life or was resurrecting the notion of terminals.

As for netbooks and tablets, most that I've seen have not exactly been locked down to prevent
possible malicious code, or even nefarious activity by the users. Think app stores.

Probably the market I'm thinking of will use a stripped-down embedded OS that does not permit
any modification by the user, and has elaborate crypto to ensure that nobody adds, subtracts, or
tweaks anything. Like, every time the tablet woke up and connected to the cloud, it would
report some glorified checksum, asserting that all its innards were the same as when it was last
audited by IT Dept. The validation on the apps servers would test the report from the calling
tablet, or perhaps even feed it some sort of known-answer self-test. What came back would
determine whether the holder of the tablet was to be allowed to work today (and get paid...).