RE: Editing PDFs

Subject: RE: Editing PDFs
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>, Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:21:45 -0400

Where I live, it is illegal to use a hand-held electronic device while driving.
I don't have a dedicated direction-dictating GPS.
I don't drive to places that I don't know often enough to justify paying my
cellular provider for the turn-by-turn direction service on my phone...

So, I print out Google maps and squint at those while driving, which is
still legal. That's the only use I've made of a printer in the past 18 months.
I use my wife's DeskJet for that. Mine died of disuse (the cartridges
basically mummified).

Pretty-much every document that goes around our office these days
is PDF, or Word, or html, and they rarely get printed anymore. I'm even
starting to see e-Pub.
Part of that might be that everybody's got at least one 20-inch screen (most
have two, or one 24, or a 27. So, it's much more pleasant to read onscreen
than it formerly was, and you can have your work still visible beside
the source document. Even my phone has resolution enough to show
half pages quite well.

We have a printer or two that are still used by some people, including
one that serves as our fax. There's another printer that sat idle for 2
years and is now on a pallet, under plastic wrap (where it will sit for
another 16 months until the lease runs out - it's more expensive to
terminate early than to pay for one we're not using.

One of the most recent hires is in the cube that formerly housed
that printer. We sent him a few "print jobs", but that joke got tired
rather quickly.

So, not paperless, but way, way, way less paperful than previously.
It's later than predicted, but I think it's happening.

or disclosing it.

Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.

See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post. http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps