Re: Laid Off

Subject: Re: Laid Off
From: Robin Davidson <robin -at- robinsdesigns -dot- net>
To: jan <jan -dot- jarnopolin -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:48:17 -0500

Jan,

No, I don't have any vacation left and was having to schedule time to work extra hours (so they could track it) to make up some time I needed. Guess I won't need to now since they cut me before I took that time off.

I'm good on health insurance. I am 100% covered by my husband's health insurance so I wasn't even on their benefits.

I've updated my resume and sent it to two recruiters who have placed me in the past and to a fellow STC Pittsburgh member who had a job lead for me, ironically, the day before I got cut. I talked to the recruiter who placed me in this last position on Friday even though they hardly ever get technical writing positions. I'm talking to the second recruiter this morning to catch up.

Robin

On 11/12/12 9:28 PM, jan wrote:

Robin,

File for unemployment online NOW. It doesn't matter if they are paying you through the end of the week. If you're getting paid for accrued vacation, that might be your "waiting week". Any severance you get is "non-qualifying income".
Also, figure out what you're going to do about health insurance now. Take your COBRA if possible. You absolutely cannot have a lapse of coverage, even with Obamacare.
Finally, look at Get Technical Writing Jobs <http://www.gettechnicalwritingjobs.com/>. It's a pretty thorough listing of tech writing jobs across the US. And of course, get your resume in shape and post it to Monster, Dice, The Ladders, Simply Hired and all the rest.

Hope this helps.

jan

On 11/12/2012 12:00 PM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:
Robin,

Sorry to hear about the job.

If you're a member of the HATT (Help Authoring Tools& techniques) Yahoo Group, be sure to post and let them know, too. Or join up and then let them know. Hiring managers hang out there.

If you're on LinkedIn, it might be a good idea to post a message that contains a link to your LinkedIn page, Twitter feed, etc.

Make it easier for people find you faster.

Craig