Re: Possible to encrypt "free" mail?

Subject: Re: Possible to encrypt "free" mail?
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: Tech Whirler List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:36:51 -0500

On 11/16/12 2:20 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:
> I'm not so much interested in security-by-obscurity as in solid cryptographic security preformed with minimal disruption. There are pgp / gpg plug-ins for various mail programs, but they are bypassed when you check your Gmail or other web-based mail via your phone.

Kevin,

PGP/GPG with reasonably strong key lengths (e.g., 4096-bit) is a fairly
standard way of encrypting secure email.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "they are bypassed when you
check your Gmail or other web-based mail via your phone" -- the
underlying transport mechanism or user agent are agnostic to the
contents of the message payload. You can send PGP-encrypted mail using
Gmail. There are OpenPGP applications for iOS (iPhone, iPad), Android,
etc. If you can access your Gmail using a dedicated mail client over
IMAP, it will simplify using PGP with your Gmail account, too.

It appears that there's even Chrome extensions to ease using GPG with
Gmail's web interface. I don't know what's available for "that other
browser" but if you're using it, you've already forfeitted security so
why are you bothering with secure communication, anyway?

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | is to laugh at your own folly -- then you
| can let go and quickly move on." (p. 70)
* WordPress * jQuery * MySQL * Security * Business Continuity *

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs