Is there a Polyglot default language option for MS Word? Indexing issue.

Subject: Is there a Polyglot default language option for MS Word? Indexing issue.
From: mihailokostich -at- aim -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:55:07 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to add a concordance index to a lengthy WORD file. It's 200+ pages and chock full of archaic and quirky British English spellings, German and French words, and many, many others from Slavic/Greek/Turkish Balkan languages. All with correct spelling in the source language, with accent marks and non-standard characters.

Turning off the auto-correct and spell and grammar check features -- and the "show hidden text" and "show all formatting marks" in File > Options > Display does not work. As soon as I do those things, save my file, and navigate to "insert index" and Auto-mark (from my 18 page 2 column concordance table), I see the index starting to compile, with lengthy formatting information at every entry. After the page count hits the end of the document, I can turn off all that 'reveal formatting.' But then the index disappears. The little book icon in the lower status bar (between page and word count, and the default language) tells me to fix my "proofing errors" in the document. After telling WORD to ignore the 6 or 8 "proofing errors" that showed up in the first two paragraphs of the document -- and not finding a 'cancel proofing' option -- I tell WORD to G.F.Y. and exit the document without saving.

I know that extraneous characters -- apostrophes, quote marks -- give WORD fits in index entries, so the concordance table has been stripped of those. But I can't strip the flavorful (and faithful to the text and quoted source documents) accent marks, odd spellings and foreign letters.

.....Okay, having summarized all of that, I guess the simplest solution is to delete, destroy and never again think of that concordance table. That probably can't be made to work in a circumstance like this. Put in the markers manually.

But when I invest the time and get done with all of that, am I still going to see WORD prompting me to fix proofing errors, in the process of building the index?
Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs