RE: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?

Subject: RE: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Paul Goble <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:16:18 -0800

Paul Goble wrote:

> Millions of users are uninstalling Java this morning.
>
> How are you all being affected by this? Obviously, if you're
> documenting a
> Java app, the whole product is in trouble. But how many help systems
> depend
> on Java, even when the application itself is doesn't require Java?
> Which
> of our development tools require Java?

Not affected at all. I presume this is the zero-day vulnerability discussed on /. yesterday. As Laura noted, it's the JRE's browser plugin.

Java applications aren't "in trouble." And in any case, the vulnerability will probably be patched sooner than you can decide how it affects you or what you can do about it -- long before you could create and release any documentation updates, change your tools, etc.

The CERT VN you linked to says the vulnerability can be exploited by "convincing a user to visit a specially crafted HTML document." So be careful. Disable the browser plugin to be extra careful. Then move on. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs