Re: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?

Subject: Re: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:51:02 -0500

On 1/11/13 11:16 AM, Combs, Richard wrote:
> The CERT VN you linked to says the vulnerability can be exploited by "convincing a user to visit a specially crafted HTML document." So be careful. Disable the browser plugin to be extra careful. Then move on. :-)

I absolutely *hate* scare tactics, but in this case, it may be justified.

I may be totally making this up (I'm not), but, servers of web ads for
some ad networks may have been compromised, and along with the ads they
are serving, may be some malicious payload. And, these may be ad
networks that are used by legitimate websites, totally unaware of what's
going on. Even if you use ad-blocking, you may still be at risk.

The only safe solution is to ensure that every browser on your machine
has its Java plugin disabled.

However, there are applications that may use an embedded browser, over
which you may have no control over whether it has a Java plugin enabled
or disabled. So, you may want to completely uninstall every version of
Java you can find on your machine.

Or, just dip your head in the sand and pretend like everything's just
a-okay!

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | is to laugh at your own folly -- then you

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs