Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)

Subject: Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)
From: beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:16:27 -0800

Thanks, everyone. I hadn't googled myself in ages, so just for laughs I
tried it. I found only my Linkedin and Facebook profiles, several other
people whose names contain or resemble mine, and even a couple of
obituaries that clearly aren't me. I'm less worried now, though I'm going
to try to continue to be polite.

However, it's becoming more difficult since this morning, when I got up at
7:30 to try to get through to EDD again. By 8 AM I had dialed every one of
their lines, and they are no longer letting anyone through at all.

The main line that they tell you to call - to talk to a human - just plays
an informational message, gives you menu selections that only go to the
automated services, and hangs up. I even tried the Spanish and Vietnamese
lines, since someone on the Facebook site said they got through that way.

I did send messages to my state assemblyman and senator, but haven't
received a reply yet. But this is a bureaucracy that is showing
characteristics of becoming a black hole, and I wouldn't be surprised if
those guys just got sucked into it like the rest of us.

I have a hunch that I am going to have to forget about getting unemployment
benefits and just live off my savings. Fortunately I have some, but I don't
know how long they are going to have to last.

Dosvedanya!

Bee