Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)

Subject: Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:07:29 -0800

On 1/22/2013 9:16 AM, beelia wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I hadn't googled myself in ages, so just for laughs I
tried it. I found only my Linkedin and Facebook profiles, several other
people whose names contain or resemble mine, and even a couple of
obituaries that clearly aren't me. I'm less worried now, though I'm going
to try to continue to be polite.

If you Google both of the email addresses you have used in posts here, you will find various posts you have made. You will also find this page, https://pipl.com/search/?q=beelia%40gmail.com, that contains ads for services that provide information from public records and online searches.

It could be good that, as it seems, you set your Facebook page to private. It is a good practice to go online and with different browsers in some cases to see your online image as others see it.

However, it's becoming more difficult since this morning, when I got up at
7:30 to try to get through to EDD again. By 8 AM I had dialed every one of
their lines, and they are no longer letting anyone through at all.

Many agencies and companies do not open their phone lines until 8:30 or 9:00. The phone queues automatically drop all the calls and clear the queue when the phone lines are opened.

The main line that they tell you to call - to talk to a human - just plays
an informational message, gives you menu selections that only go to the
automated services, and hangs up. I even tried the Spanish and Vietnamese
lines, since someone on the Facebook site said they got through that way.

Now everyone must be doing it and filling those lines too.

I did send messages to my state assemblyman and senator, but haven't
received a reply yet.

I have received response two or three weeks after I sent letters.

I have a hunch that I am going to have to forget about getting unemployment
benefits and just live off my savings. Fortunately I have some, but I don't
know how long they are going to have to last.

Did you get anything in writing, like a denial letter that includes options for appeal?

Just reapply and make sure you save your application often and record your confirmation number. It's a hassle, but it won't change your benefits, it just makes them start later than you wanted.

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast