Employment luck (was Re: Unemployment compensation and so on)

Subject: Employment luck (was Re: Unemployment compensation and so on)
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:17:32 -0800 (PST)

I had to change the thread title because I had promised I wouldn't post on that other thread anymore.

I think Richard is right; to some extent, people can make their own luck.  But it's not that simple.  You have to be in a situation where you have options.  Luck in this case consists of being able to do things that allow you to take advantage of openings, some of which may not be visible at the time.

I have encountered some of the negative things you mention.  As some people have noted, I've had kind of a history of working at the wrong places.  Part of that was the fact that I was not good at managing money.  For too many years, I had no reserves to get me through a financial dry spell, so whenever I lost one job I had no choice but to take whatever came first.  I had to say yes to any job offer because I couldn't pay rent until I found a new job that was "right" for me.  It's kind of hard to make luck when you have no options.

I have been extraordinarily lucky the last couple of years. I managed to go from a short term contract job to a regular job with a large and, up until very recently, stable company.  I can't believe I got a job as a real employee in tech writing in this age.  Maybe my guardian angel finally sobered up.

OK, that's my whining for the day.  I feel better now.  Thanks for reading.  :-)