Re: % of time technical writers spend on core tasks?

Subject: Re: % of time technical writers spend on core tasks?
From: Lois Patterson <loisrpatterson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:15:12 -0700

I think a more general question would be - how much overhead time would be
eliminated by moving to a different documentation system, e.g., DITA.

For example: current documentation system requires overhead time of 40% to
produce the standard document set.
Replacement documentation system (when implemented completely) requires
overhead time of 5% to produce the standard document set.

But of course, you have to consider the ramp-up and conversion time, as
another poster mentioned. So any equation has to properly balance OHT_old,
OHT_new, and SwitchTime. Presumably SwitchTime falls to zero after a
certain period of time, so you would have to consider scenarios at
specified time points as well (e.g., 1 year, 2 years, 5 years).

Lois