RE: Editing/Writing Test

Subject: RE: Editing/Writing Test
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:29:43 +0000

But I have found that cvs and samples of published work (which may have been cleaned up and polished by an editor) and interviews tell you very little about whether a candidate can actually do the job.

For example, several candidates who looked highly credible on paper and in their interviews failed an editing test that consisted of assessing a 200-word procedure because they missed a really obvious typo in the section title, and failed to notice that 2 out of the 3 screen shots didn't illustrate the correct things; and proved in the writing portion that they didn't know fundamentals like how to structure information logically and write in a simple, clear style.

Somebody who is applying for a senior-level writing or editing job should have the experience and skills to perform well under a bit of pressure (since that's ALSO a job requirement); and if they are seriously interested in the job they shouldn't mind sticking around for 45 minutes after their interview to complete some simple tests.

Sure, as an applicant, you don't want to be made to jump through hoops for a job that's beneath you. But it's a lot more a waste of everyone's time if somebody who is hired because they present well in an interview turns out to not have the requisite abilities, and has to be replaced.