RE: Editing/Writing Test

Subject: RE: Editing/Writing Test
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>, Karen Felker <akaren -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:46:32 +0000

I gave candidates a two-part test.

Part 1 consisted of a paragraph of randomly strung-together information about a piece of hardware (function it performs within the system, installation considerations, specs, etc), and asked them to create a point-form outline of a section for a setup manual. So they had to decide what information to use and what to leave out, and how to organize info; and figure out what questions they would ask SMEs to complete or clarify information. They got bonus points if they intended to include an installation diagram.

For Part 2, I took a section from a software user guide that consisted of a one-paragraph description of a simple feature, with an 8-step procedure that explained how to use it. I built in errors like passive voice and run-on sentences; missing punctuation; typo in the section title; inconsistencies in how fields were named, relative to what was shown in the screen shots; used a shot that didn't show what the text was describing; added inconsistencies in font formatting (ie. some field names in bold, some not); and left one step out, so that the flow of actions clearly didn't make sense.

They could take as long as they wanted to complete the tests; the best candidates were done in less than an hour.