Re: Jobs.... Benefits...

Subject: Re: Jobs.... Benefits...
From: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:21:55 -0700

I have always worked for companies as a full time permanent employee. My last company was the only one I have done contract work and that was through a company that had benefits after 3 months.

I have no record doing contract work and I am at a loss how to handle it. As I said, I am getting a lot of head hunters and I don't know them from Adam. Do I trust them? NO! But, I am having to listen to them and see what I can do. I do have some colleagues who have used some head hunters and their companies. I am using what knowledge I can get from them.

I can tell you I have a good a background. Last week I had a two interviews with a very well known company you use everyday. The other a large company that is also large and very prominent in their industry. I felt the interviews went well. I am waiting to hear back.

I am like most people, I want to work. I want to work and make decent money and get medical/dental. I need to stay local because of gas prices and long times on the freeways is not helpful. But, in today's marked I am trying to cope with these new changes. At least new for me.

I do want to take the time to reply to you and everyone here for the kind help and feed back. This is a trying time for me looking for work as it is for everyone.

Thank you all... I'm working on it....

Bobby

On 3/18/2013 9:38 AM, Bill Swallow wrote:

You've received some great advice from others already. What do you do?
I can't answer what you should do, but here's what I'm doing:

I set myself with a higher base rate for contract work. As you know,
medical/dental coverage isn't cheap. I've had to turn away a LOT of
headhunters based on rates, but I haven't regretted it. Working the
numbers showed I would have needed two of these "lowball" contracts to
scrape by. If I'm going to work myself absolutely ragged, I'll do it
without putting my 17+ years of experience and 12+ years of total
career investment to work (perhaps as a landscaper or bartender). The
better paying work I find more than makes up for the ones I've not
pursued, and I still keep the FTE search going.

Best of luck to you!

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z