Re: Exported PDF back to native INDD?

Subject: Re: Exported PDF back to native INDD?
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:50:38 -0500

Hi, Chris:

Sorry to hear of this sad event.

If I understand you correctly, "earlier software version" refers to the
subject of the book, rather than that you saved earlier InDesign files in a
later version, and have lost the earlier version's ID files. If this is the
case, and you want to create a set of fully-editable ID files, you'll need
to export content from the PDF and place it into new ID files. ID can place
(import) several types of exported text formats. You'll need to re-place
the original graphics, if they're available, into the new ID files, or, if
the exported graphics are suitable, you can place them.

If, OTOH, you have newer ID files but need to work with them an older ID
version, you can export them as IDML, an interchange format. Search Google
for terms like "saving indesign files for older versions," without quotes
for details.

If it's important to match the original layouts, you can place PDF pages on
a separate layer in ID files, for use as guides on which to arrange the new
content, then hide or delete the layer. (NOTE: Every layer is
document-wide, so hiding or deleting a layer affects every page in the
document. You can use separate layers for more granular control.)

You can place entire PDFs into ID files, though they're not editable. You
can place multiple-page PDFs. Search Google for terms like "place multiple
pdf pages indesign," without quotes for details.

See Bob Levine's article Why I Always Work in a Dropbox Folder and Why You
Should, Too ...<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=why+dropbox+InDesign+bob+levine&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboblevine.us%2Fwhy-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too%2F&ei=B2xIUZe4KdTh4AP8-IDIBA&usg=AFQjCNE8a4re8c7CQFw6VdZwWareqI9ymg&sig2=PLl36RJv_Pq-FpbwYnBgxA&bvm=bv.43828540,d.dmg>
for
advice about not repeating this disastrous situation in the future.

HTH

Regards,

Peter
_______________________
Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>wrote:

> Message: 15
> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:03:44 -0700
> From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Exported PDF back to native INDD?
>
> I've made a blunder! I failed to backup a set of native InDesign files for
> an earlier software version, yet have the PDF book version. Any ideas on
> how to revert back to the original INDD format?
>
> Thanks

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z