Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for March 22, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:47:52 -0500

Maybe it’s just March, we all seem to be dealing with a bit of madness (go
Rams!) So it seems an appropriate subject for this week’s technical
communication recap. Whether you’re fitting your regular work in around
checking your NCAA brackets, or being admirable professionals who
prioritize the tech comm work first, you had a lot to keep your eyes on
this week.

Craig Cardimon served admirably as Whirler extraordinaire, curating a great
set of tech comm, content management and UX blog posts in Tech Writer This
Week <http://techwhirl.com/tech-writer-this-week-for-march-21-2013/> (for
those of you who asked, we use Storify to curate TWTW, and it doesn’t
always play nicely with all the browsers and configurations out there), and
providing a review of
Notepad++,<http://techwhirl.com/notepad-plus-plus-review/>the highly
regarded open source tool. And we’re happy to have had Geoff
Hart educating us on Ten Design
Principles<http://techwhirl.com/ten-design-principles-and-when-to-violate-them/>
.

It was an especially busy week on the email discussion
list<http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/1303/index.html#.UUx7QxzCaSo>with
lively debates on time spent on core tasks, the challenge of hiring
technical communicators with or without testing, state of the job market,
tips for using Microsoft Word, and term suggestions. As Reshma Pednse put
it so succinctly, “Thank you, for an excellent week on Techwr-l. From
writing and editing tests to correcting formatting in Word, it's been time
well spent here:)” Couldn't have said it better ourselves…

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week, March 21, 2013, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/YpTFO4
- Ten Design Principles and When to Violate Them, by Geoff Hart |
http://bit.ly/ZYX050
- Easy, Functional and Free: Review of Notepad++, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/YAvlVR

*Technical Communication news on
http://TechWhirl.com/news<http://techwhirl.com/news>
:*

- Empathica Launches New Social Features for Customer Experience
Managers | http://ow.ly/2vEQos
- US Consumers Ditch Brand Loyalty for Personalized Service |
http://ow.ly/2vC5Ac

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl
EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z