Re: About The Cloud: Quick-Read Suggestions

Subject: Re: About The Cloud: Quick-Read Suggestions
From: Richard Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Writers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 10:45:38 -0700

Hi Chris,

I can't recommend any specific books on either topic (I guess I should expand XML Press offerings to include those topics:-), but I do have a couple of suggestions.

Regarding APIs, one strategy would be to look at some existing API documentation for the type of API you'll be documenting (by type I mean the technology behind the API, which might be a web protocol, a programming language, an interpreted language, or something else entirely). API documentation for a C language library will be a lot different from documentation for a web-based protocol. Even when the basics are similar, the styles often diverge, and programmers get used to the predominant style for a particular technology.

You should be able to find examples of pretty much any style of API documentation on the web.

Regarding cloud computing, check out the major vendors. For example, at rackspace.com, under their "Fanatical Support" tab, there is a set of resources that include an introduction to cloud computing and even something called CloudU that has videos, white papers, a certificate program and other resources. I didn't dive too deeply, but it looks interesting enough that I may try it out myself, and I don't think there's any cost. I'll bet the other vendors have something similar.

Good luck,
Richard
-------
XML Press