Re: ANON: Billing clients

Subject: Re: ANON: Billing clients
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:13:59 -0400

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:53:59 -0400, Anonymous <anonymous -at- techwhirl -dot- com> wrote:

I have two independent contracts that I'm working simultaneously.

Lawyers do this all the time, and a story is oft related, videlicet:

A 50-year-old lawyer who had been practicing since he was 25 years old died and arrived at the pearly gates of heaven. The lawyer said to St. Peter, "I am surprised I died so young. I was very active and always ate well. And I'm only 50 years old!" St. Peter looked at his book and looked back down at the lawyer. "Fifty years old, you say? According to your billing records, you should be 83."

There's another method, used by auto repair shops, which is "flat rate." The flat rate for replacing a U-joint is, say, two hours. At my local shop that's $140. The mechanic may work on three other cars, perhaps do an emergency call, etc., while "working" on my job. He may finish the U-joint in 45 minutes, or he may shear a bolt and need a total of three hours on it. The labor charge? Still two hours.

Unless you have already agreed to the minute details of accounting for billing time, I would say that any arrangement that seems fair is okay, as long as you can defend it if you need to. There is no need to be so nit-picking as to account for time spent at the porcelain euphemism, for example.
From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n