Re: ANON: Billing clients

Subject: Re: ANON: Billing clients
From: Peter Hirons <peter -at- galley -dot- ie>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:24:27 +0100

If Client 1 expects a rapid response I would expect them to pay a retainer to ensure your availability. I would suggest something like one hour at your billing rate per day. Obviously any work done would have that day's "credit" before further billing.

If the client can be more relaxed about your response time (such as a 24-hour turnround) then this wouldn't apply. I currently have a couple of clients on this basis.

---

Peter

On 2013-04-12 14:53, Anonymous wrote:

Please send all replies to the list, as individual replies cannot be
forwarded.

I have two independent contracts that I'm working simultaneously. On one of
them, call it Client 1, I'm getting old documents to work on very
sporadically. I need to be on line 9-5, checking my email frequently, in
case they send me something, in which case it needs a very rapid
turnaround. The work I do only takes me an hour to an hour and a half per
document, but I might get one document every other day.

Since I'm working another contract during the off-times, I feel like I
should only charge Client 1 for the actual work I do. On the other hand, I
feel like I should charge them something for being so constantly available.

Thoughts, comments?

From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n