structuring a training course.

Subject: structuring a training course.
From: Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: tech2wr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 09:17:51 -0700 (PDT)

I'm developing (with an SME) a training course that is a combination of lectures touching on 6 areas and working in a virtual environment with some specific tools. (I can't get into more detail, I'm under a pretty fierce NDA).

What I currently have is:

Section 1 (lecture, area 1)
Section 2 (lecture, area 2)
Section 3 (lecture, area 3)
Lab (introduction to the virtual environment)
Section 4 (mostly working within the virtual environment)
Section 5 (mostly working within the virtual environment)
Section 6 (mostly working with the virtual environment)

So really, what I'm calling (currently) the Lab is an interlude, where people are taught how to use the virtual environment, before we go into the other 3 areas, where they'll be doing the actual work.  There are some minor lectures associated with Sections 4-6, but mostly it's tutorial material teaching them how to use the specific tools.

Titling the chapter I've currently got labeled Lab "Lab 1" doesn't make sense. I don't think it's professional to call that section an Interlude. Any ideas what else I could call it?

I could break out the very small bit of lectures in Sections 4-6 and have my ToC be:

Section 1 (lecture, area 1)
Section 2 (lecture, area 2)
Section 3 (lecture, area 3)
Lab (introduction to the virtual environment)
Section 4 (lecture)
Lab 2

Section 5 (lecture)
Lab 3

Section 6 (lecture)
Lab 4

but the sections 4-6 lectures are really only a couple of pages long. (and I'm not currently sure how much lecture there will be for sections 5 and 6; I haven't got that material from my SME yet.)

Does this proposed ToC make sense? My SME wants the labs merged into the lectures for those sections, but I'd rather break them out as independent chapters. Or is my SME right?

Regards,
Becca
There's no such thing as useless information; only information I haven't used yet.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n