Re: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?

Subject: Re: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 14:10:08 -0700

I'm resurrecting this thread because... I was typing in Spanish today -- not something I do well, but I was typing to a fellow student in my Spanish class -- and made a similar sort of error!

I meant to type "veo" but typed "beo" because the "v" is pronounced with a "b" sound, so clearly my fingers were typing what the imaginary voice inside my head was saying :-).

So I wonder if this would be the same <whatever-we-call-it> as the error of typing "your" instead of "you're"? Seems so, except that the English error resulted in a real word being typed, while the Spanish did not... Perhaps the English error is a "homophone typo" but the Spanish one is a "unisonic misuse" ??

And for (fun) reference, here's the summary of suggestions from the group, last August:

* homophone typo
* Homophone confusion. AKA whole language reading.
* Unisonic misuse
* Homophonic dysfunction/error/malapropism
* Homophony
* Pun-ting
* HomoFoneBone (with apologies to Don Martin)
* homoflub ("that ain't right" and "you'd get in a lot of trouble trying to actually use")
* homophone funny
* You could always blame Damn You Auto Correct!
* brain-to-fingers mis-fire

* And for a related syndrome, see

-----Original Message----- From: Monique Semp
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:27 PM
To: TechWR-L
Subject: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?

Hello, Whirlers,

Iâve done a bit of a google search, but cannot find a word to describe when you type the wrong homphone; anyone know of one?

The closest thing I found was simply someone asking the same question:

(I just hate it when I reread a message that Iâve sent, and see that, for example, Iâve typed âtheirâ instead of âtheyâreâ. And Iâm so hoping that thereâs a word to describe this phenomena. But at least I can confidently distinguish among homonyms, homophones, and homographs now: :-)

Just wondering,

From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more:


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Previous by Author: multiple gmail accounts - getting rid of a prior client's ?
Next by Author: Word (2007) - heading number *after* heading text ?
Previous by Thread: Survey of Technical Writers/Communicators with Intercultural Communication Project Experience
Next by Thread: RE: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads