Re: PDF from Word - unwanted headings in bookmarks

Subject: Re: PDF from Word - unwanted headings in bookmarks
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 14:09:23 -0400

I had always thought that my Adobe distiller settings (C:\Program Files
(x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Settings) controlled how PDFs were
generated from Word, but my co-worker pointed out another place where you
can specify settings that may override those settings (and from my limited
twiddling with it in the past week or two, the overrides appear to be
document specific...).

In Word, click the Acrobat tab.
Click the Preferences icon.
In the Acrobat PDF Maker dialog box, click the Bookmarks tab.
I'd be willing to bet you discover that these settings aren't what you
weren't expecting. I know mine weren't.

As I said, I'm not positive, but I suspect that the settings here are
controlled by either Word or the Word template, because I can set them, and
they don't always persist (for example, if I make a copy my Release Notes
to update it for the next patch, I sometimes have to check the settings
again).

Hope that helps!

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>wrote:

> Hello, TechWR-L-ers,
>
> Well, although the usual problem with Word-to-PDF conversion is a lack of
> bookmarks, my problem is the opposite: I seem to be able to get either all
> headings in the bookmarks or none. I can’t get just the heading 1 and 2
> levels into the bookmarks.
>
> Any ideas what I might have wrong in my styles? (As I said, I doubt that
> the problem is in my Acrobat Preferences because I get the same behavior on
> two different systems.)
>
> --
>
> More info:
>
> I’ve never had this happen, and it’s not system/machine-related. The same
> Word file produces the same PDF result on two different machines.
>
> Both have Word 2007; one has Acrobat Pro 9 Extended as part of the Tech
> Comm Suite, the other has Acrobat 9 Pro as a standalone program. Both Word
> installs show the expected Acrobat tab in the ribbon, and both machines
> seem to invoke the PDFMaker.
>
> The styles should be solid – I started with a template that I’ve used many
> times before. And then I created new heading styles, based on Heading 1.
> And I get the same PDF result whether I use the original Heading 1 or my
> new heading styles.
>
> All the heading styles seem fine with respect to their Level settings
> (Level 1 for Heading 1, Level 2 for Heading 2, etc.)
>
> Thanks much!
> -Monique
> From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help
> sample with DISQUS for user commenting?
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/
Blogging about Agile and technical writing