Re: Do you take computer science courses or related courses during your spare time?

Subject: Re: Do you take computer science courses or related courses during your spare time?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 06:06:13 -0700

> I am currently taking basic courses like compiler principle, OS basics and
> data structure. My understanding is that learning those courses will give
> you a deeper understanding of your products(since software writers account
> a huge percentage of tech writers). What do you see is the benefit and what
> are you learning during your spare time?

Before ever even knowing that a technical writing career existed, years ago
I took Intro To Computers and a dBase III Programming courses. They proved
indispensable and got me started. Then I had a terrific mentor, he being a
contracted repair person at my local Inacomp store. Since I was inquisitive
and a willing apprentice (working on my own systems), he provided knowledge
that would have taken years to acquire using a different modality. I am
also an autodidact, so have always taught myself by reading, researching
and doing. If I were starting out today, or even looking to advance my
now-declining career, I'd be taking advantage of external courses, however.

In my spare time I'm now taking an online creative writing course through
Stanford.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n