RE: Do you take computer science courses or related courses during your spare time?

Subject: RE: Do you take computer science courses or related courses during your spare time?
From: Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Simon <wingman1985 -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot- cn>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 13:13:21 -0400

Simon sez:

> I am currently taking basic courses like compiler principle, OS basics and data structure. My understanding is that learning those courses will give you a deeper understanding of your products(since software writers account a huge percentage of tech writers). What do you see is the benefit and what are you learning during your spare time?

As always, it depends on what you are writing about. In general, I think it is always useful to learn something new especially where technology is concerned, even if it is not directly applicable to your current position. Plus, it makes you more marketable. I was a Comp Sci major, and I really believe the background helped me get hired after college...on early jobs I wrote test plans and portation guides, and had to write directly from code.

I applaud your initiative, and I think you have to find these topics interesting to be successful in your courses. Perhaps you can go the next step and get some degree or certification. Personally, I have not had any type of training related to work in a long time, and in my spare time I prefer to do volunteer work....which helps be build another set of skills.

Kathee

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n