Re: Master Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Master Documents in Word
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:46:28 -0400

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:36:33 -0400, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- cytomedix -dot- com> correctly wrote:

Some Word experts use master documents with ease. Many other Word experts avoid them like the plague.

For the best argument on why *not* to use master documents in Word, go to the Master himself, Steve Hudson, who wrote the best guide on using them:

<http://techwhirl-1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Microsoft-Word-masterdocs.pdf>

As for a 1,000-page report, it's not a big deal. Many of us manage document in excess of that size, including tables, graphics, and other hinky features. There are certain rules to follow to keep large documents stable, and ignoring them can lead to hair-pulling. But those rules are a heck of a lot more straightforward than master documents!