Re: Master Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Master Documents in Word
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:00:52 -0400

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:48:50 -0400, Margaret Cekis <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

Holly Deitelhoff asked about Master Documents in Word :
"What is the general feel from people about Master Documents in Word? Are
they mostly functional - where are the common problems - lessons learned
from using them - adjustments that yield higher success rates ... etc? (I'm
using Windows and Word 2007.) I have to build reports in excess of 1000
pages for a customer and upgrading software is not an option.
Holly,
I agree with Dan that you can do it without Master Documents. ... [Lots of good advice.]

One additional worry... What happens to the deliverable?

Will it be read carefully, but not locally updated, or perhaps put on a shelf, used only as a lurking reference?

Or will it get updates from everyone and his brother?

Will you find yourself later having to update the "revised" mess, which has not followed your use of codes, but is instead full of ad-hoc patches? Or has been converted, by some well-meaning lightbulb, into Master Document format, with loss of four and a half chapters?

Perhaps it's not too late to establish a business protocol or contract under which YOU get to do the updates, rather than being told that updating the mess should be a lot easier or cheaper, since "most of the work is already done."

If it's not totally illegal to do so, I'd recommended accidentally forgetting to delete your personal backup copies.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ