Re: Best tablet for writing/editing

Subject: Re: Best tablet for writing/editing
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 13:01:46 -0700

Good observations Elissa and Robert.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Elissa K. Miller <emiller -at- doubleknot -dot- com>wrote:

> Another annoying thing about getting files on and off the iPad is Apple's
> insistence on not exposing the file system. So, you can't see a list of the
> word processing or spreadsheet documents that are on the iPad--you have to
> open the application first to get to your files.

You can also use an application like DiskAid or iExplorer to see the file
system. The documents are still held in each of the app folders, but at
least you don't have to open each app -- only its folder.

Many apps offer Dropbox, Drive, Box, and iCloud integration. Others offer
their own cloud-hosting services. In some cases this does you absolutely no
good, because the app is unable to continue working on the offline version
of the document if you aren't connected to the Internet. I'm still
complaining to some app developers for their lack of proper offline sync.

I bought OfficePlus and an external keyboard thinking I could get some work
> done on my iPad, but it's pretty annoying if you write a lot. Now I use

External keyboards are OK. Lately I found my Zagg Profolio+ is double
striking my keys. I can't tell if it's a Zagg problem or an app problem.
This is more than a minor annoyance when typing on my iPad.

> FWIW, an external keyboard does you control cursor placement with the arrow
> keys. (Well, my Kensington keyboard does, and I assume it's standard.)

I assume you mean it "lets" you control cursor placement. Again, this is
usually dependent on the app, and whether or not your cursor is in the
correct position. When I first tap into the Google Chrome location bar, I
can't use the cursor keys to edit the URL. I have to tap again and wait for
the text selection UI to appear. Next, none of my eBook readers allow me to
turn pages by the keyboard. This is a major fail on the part of the
developers.

That said, for the things iPad does well, it does extremely well. I can
lose myself for hours in immersive media. My friend just bought one of them
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablets I just wrote about, and it has a pretty
good setup right out of the box. Apple's going to have to do something
really groundbreaking if they want to keep its user base. I sense a lot of
us Mac-fans leaving.

-Tony

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ