Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for October 18, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:25:56 -0400

At least two of our favorite events happen in October, and we’re busy
prepping for both of them: the LavaCon Conference (Sunday through
Thursday), and Halloween.

If you’re planning on being at LavaCon this year, please do stop by The
one way to put names with faces, especially if your Google/LinkedIn avatar
is, shall we say, a bit out of date… More important it’s a chance to hear
leaders in our field and participate in all kinds of discussions on tech
comm, content strategy and customer experience. You can also sit in on our
session on business cases for funding content initiatives, among many
others (including some from Users’ Advocate Mark Baker). However, if your
employer is stingy with the training and travel dollars, we’ll do our best
to help you out. We have a team of four writers, Jill Viers, Ryan Minaker,
Kris Eberlein, and Tracy Taylor, joining us to provide coverage of a
multitude of sessions. You can visit our Pinterest board
<http://www.pinterest.com/techwhirl/lavacon-conference-2013/?e_t_s=board-name&amp=&e_t=2d4e2b5695a34268a0e35cbe08679cfe&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=board_collaborator_invite>(curated
by our photo pro Rachel Houghton), or follow the hashtag #Lavacon to see
what’s happening.

In between following the LavaCon happenings, and your daily tasks of
producing amazing technical content, you can catch up on a wide range of
topics with articles on TechWhirl this week and discussions on our
community forums and email discussion list. How’s this for a range: Agile
challenges, oXgen XML editor, redundancy, DocBook transformation tools,
Robohelp templates, and numerous usage questions.

We know there are many great conference opportunities for content
professionals throughout October and November… check our Events calendar.
And if you’re interested in reporting on one that we can’t attend
ourselves, drop us a note, we’d love to have the chance to highlight other
events.

Remember to submit your entry into our Third Annual Tech Comm Halloween
Horror Stories by the end of day today. And get ready for a little horror
fest starting on October 28.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for October 10, 2013 | http://bit.ly/1gmLM72
- Word Wise: The Annals of Redundancy Annals, by Marcia R. Johnston |
http://bit.ly/16ezfZx
- oXygen XML Editor — Bringing Consistency, Collaboration, and Structure
to Content Production, by Jill Viers | http://bit.ly/18kYRYs
- Pain Points for Tech Comm in Agile Teams (poll) | http://bit.ly/GZx9pD
http://bit.ly/16HBVSv

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University
<http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

<http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl