RE: Using tables for content

Subject: RE: Using tables for content
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Sean <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:24:51 -0700

Makes perfect sense. I say go for it.

You might want to experiment with different ways to accommodate the sub-steps. I can think of several. It's an interesting challenge.

>From a design standpoint, I think you can make this tabular version look superior to the standard vertical ordered-list version. But it remains to be seen whether it will have a usability advantage. You might have to test a sample, see what reactions you get.

I think it's a cool experiment.

Steve

PS - Also suggest experimenting with borders, e.g., only internal borders, or some combination. I've done this with tables in general and you can come up with some pretty pleasing effects -- which I think that one research paper that Lauren sent was saying promotes an enjoyable form of learning.