RE: Font tussle -- bolding bolding everywhere

Subject: RE: Font tussle -- bolding bolding everywhere
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:18:34 +0000

If you are the person responsible for producing documentation, then you should have the implicit authority to make these kinds of style decisions and set rules; You can't be expected to accommodate the style preferences of every different reviewer. So you could just say "Well, this is my area of expertise, and I need to have standardized rules. I've done my research, and this is how I've decided to do it."

You can back it up by showing samples from Microsoft manuals, which use minimal bolding.

You could also present the person with samples of one or two pages from a manual; one that uses your capitalizing convention, and one with all those elements in bold. Ask them which they think looks better/less busy.