RE: Font tussle -- bolding bolding everywhere

Subject: RE: Font tussle -- bolding bolding everywhere
From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:05:08 +0800

This explanation sometimes helps authors and reviewers to visualize
the problem:

"Formatting, capitalization and punctuation are used to make important
things stand out.
If everything stands out, nothing stands out."

Once, my boss decided that every instance of our product name in
marketing material and documentation must be in a special, distinctive
font. I can't convey to you the full horror of this font. Picture
something that's simultaneously bold, monospace, small caps and oddly
w i d e. I don't know where he found it. But it was distinctive! And
free!

The product had a single-word name like Software9x so it didn't need
additional emphasis. With the bolding, and the weirding, and all the
other UI elements and things that legitimately needed special
formatting, each page of my manual looked like your windscreen after
you've driven through a swarm of large bugs.

--- Stuart

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l