Re: How to document a GUI with deeply nested config items

Subject: Re: How to document a GUI with deeply nested config items
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Melanie Albrecht <melanie -dot- albrecht -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:31:17 -0700

To minimize maintenance overhead, I'd embed the doc content in the XML
config file using javadoc-style comments, display that in the GUI, and
write a script to extract and transform it for inclusion in the docs
so users could search for the information.

For the docs, generate unique identifiers by concatenating the nested
path to the field, e.g. frammistat-widget-ID, frammistat.widget.ID,
frammistat > widget > ID. Users could use that to navigate to the
option in the GUI.

Depending on what framework / tools the developers are using, there
may already be some provision for javadoc-style doc comments, e.g.:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fzdc5d5k%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

http://vivin.net/2011/07/09/generating-api-documentation-from-xml-using-xslt/

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l