Re: Is the STC worth it?

Subject: Re: Is the STC worth it?
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 22:27:17 -0800

On 11/5/2014 12:25 PM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

Whirlers,

Business being how it is, I would not feel comfortable asking my company to pay for my STC membership.

So, I'm asking you:

First, for those of you who are STC members, who pays, you or your company?

Second, for those of you who are STC members, do you think it's worth it, especially if you pay for it yourself?

Third, for those of you who are not STC members, what is the sticking point?

I'm a member, and I've always had to pay my own membership.
Is it worth it? Hard telling for sure, but I have renewed for 2015.

Our chapter (LA) has had good speakers/presentations, though fewer in recent years.
When I was an officer in our local chapter, we tried to find good venues and offer presentations that folks would benefit from.
When things imploded a few years ago, our chapter merged with the Los Angeles chapter.
A million other things, scattering us out, preventing critical mass anywhere.

I see it (membership) as a hedge, to some extent. Just like keeping my office phone number when I'm mostly working as a contractor.

I hadn't thought of asking the group for advice/mentorship - that is a great idea!

cheers
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen