RE: Re: Is the STC worth it?

Subject: RE: Re: Is the STC worth it?
From: "Post, Susan - Exelis.Agency" <Susan -dot- Post -at- exelisinc -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com" <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 23:14:58 +0000

Shawn,
I also thank you for your suggestion. In general, it's a great idea. I excitedly went to the meetup page, plugged in the requisite info,
and came up with one listing for technical writers in the Denver/ Colorado Springs area. Surprise! the Rocky Mountain Chapter
of STC was the only meetup listed. Guess when my membership expires I CAN go to it free.....I think.

My situation is an example of where STC might be the best (and apparently only) option. I'm sure it depends on
where you live (although Denver is quite techy and definitely not the boondocks. Go figure).
Certainly, STC has been a good way for ME to connect, get a mentor, and learn
some great stuff. Anyone thinking about membership needs to consider what else is
out there and how much effort you're willing to put into it, as others have noted. When I joined,
I received a welcome email from the chapter president telling me a bit about the chapter and
links for calendars and events. From there, I'm the one who has pursued committee heads who
are doing things I'm interested in. And I'll be driving to Denver (about an hour from Colorado Springs
where I live) for the meetings. My point is, my effort has paid off, and I think it will continue to do so.

The question, "Is the STC worth it?" does not have a one-size-fits-all answer. I think if you can afford the
membership, try it for a year. But commit to going to the meetings, promise yourself you'll contribute in some way,
and arrive at your own conclusion. So trite, but so true (with a twist my mom would add):
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Don't sit around and just complain.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

-Susan