Re: Learnin' some git. Was: RE: Is this the future of technical writing?

Subject: Re: Learnin' some git. Was: RE: Is this the future of technical writing?
From: Shawn <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>
To: "Sweet, Gregory (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:26:47 -0800

To make matters somewhat more challenging, every company implements git in
a slightly different manner. It is a very flexible tool that way.

Even thought I am very technical (spent years as a Network Admin - Novell,
Windows, and Linux servers), I have not yet fully embraced git for
documentation in my current company. I find git`s CLI (via Cygwin terminal)
very cryptic and not quite suitable for documentation (IMO). To date, I've
been using it only as a backup application. Rather unnecessary because I
prefer and depend on my personal 3.5" HDD for off-site backup and my
Dropbox sync for instant cloud recovery.

Until Flare keeps their promise and adds in git support, I will likely not
use git for any important role.

That said, I am always interested in learning how others use git in their
technical communications role.

Best regards,
Shawn

--