Tools - resource management

Subject: Tools - resource management
From: Kevin McLauchlan <eminentlyso -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:47:33 -0500

All,

Just FYI

I have been using and recommending the SRWare Iron browser for a few years.
I'm pulling my recommendation. I had preferred Iron because it is Chrome
without the Google nosiness, therefore fast and clean.

I normally work via Remote Desktop to a VM instance of Windows 7, in which
I run MadCap Flare, a browser or two (to verify my output, compare with
older doc versions, etc.), and not a lot else.

Lately, I have been having trouble with the VM being slow or crashing. I
narrowed the cause to Iron using a lot of resources, mostly CPU. This was
with Iron kept as up-to-date as possible.

Having replaced Iron with Opera or Firefox in the past week or two, I no
longer see the problem. My workspace (the VM) has been stable and
functional.

Since Iron is Chrome with stuff removed, it's likely that Chrome might be a
resource hog for you, too. From what I read, Chrome has taken over the hog
mantle from Firefox. From less than a week of daily experience, I find
current Firefox to be nimble and to have a slim working footprint. Safari
continues to be Safari. I tend to favor a browser for everyday use, but
check my webhelp output against several common ones to catch any rendering
or other problems before publishing.

Regards,

Kevin

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l