Re: How to mention distant-past experience on a resume?

Subject: Re: How to mention distant-past experience on a resume?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:40:14 -0500

I'm too old to care anymore.

I put it all in. If they pass me up because of age, it is their loss. And when I see them advertising again, I up my rate on them since I know they hired wrong when they passed on me and now it is clean up time.

I've even told some that in interviews when they say my rate is on the high end and wonder if I'd lower it to be competitive. I tell them it was competitive before you hired the last guy instead of me, so now I'm cleaning up his mess, not just doing your work.

But then, I've been contracting a long time, and ensure I have several months of padding to live on without touching critical funds for any downtime.

If you are living paycheck to paycheck, then getting that job is more critical for you.

The experience thing is a tricky game. If you have something important to this job 20 years ago but you have trimmed out irrelevant jobs from 15 years ago, they get suspicious of the holes. As soon as they pull your high school records, they have your age. Hiding it on the resume doesn't do any good really. It might just get you further up the process before they discriminate on age.

And you risk leaving off a piece that might be just what they are looking for. I'm working at a place now that experience during high school summers was important in getting the job. That is ancient history, but it made a difference.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave C" <davec2468 -at- yahoo -dot- com>