Re: Large Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Large Documents in Word
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:56:33 -0500

I've had to work in Word with 400 to 700 pages more than I wanted to do. Here are a few things I found that help and hurt.

1. Graphics - import them, and always import the smallest file you can and still keep clarity. You take a picture, and it may be 500 kb, 1.5 Mb, or whatever raw from the camera. DO NOT import that. Your picture in the book is going to be maybe 3x4 or less. Rarely will it be more. Use a photo editor to cut the size. Windows Photo Manager is simple for a quick crop in a standard format (3x4, 5x6, etc.) and resize (1024x768, 800x600, etc.). Keep each under 100kb. If you can go smaller and still useable, do it.

2. Links and cross references - try to avoid them. I don't know if they cause crashes, but docs with a lot of them seem to crash more. It could just be the size. I have seen docs where they cross referenced nearly every paragraph. That is just problems.

3. Styles - use them, but try to use the standard Word ones. The more you customize, the more likely to crash. Customized auto numbering is a good way to get lots of crashes. This is why I like FrameMaker - numbering in lists works there.

4. KISS - The bigger the document, the simpler you need the layout. Fancy stuff costs memory and size. the more you use, the more likely of a crash.

5. Keep your fingers crossed. Short of that, SAVE and SAVE OFTEN.

6. Don't use autosave.

7. Don't select the recovery files or autosave files after a crash. Go back to the last regular file, even if you lost a lot.

8. Delete the .TMP files that Word produces each day.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lin Sims" <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>