RE: Large Documents in Word

Subject: RE: Large Documents in Word
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Lin Sims'" <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:17:49 -0500

Lin Sims asked for tips for creating and managing large documents in Word.
Lin:
A few more Word tips:
When you set up your styles in a new template or clean up an old one:
Go into the style definitions, and make sure that no style in your document
is based on Normal. I use Body Text as my default paragraph style, and
sometimes base other styles on it.
I occasionally use an empty Normal paragraphs as a spacer after tables. I
define all my paragraph styles with built-in spacing. I have a minimal
number of character styles, which I can apply with a key combination. My
usual style for emphasis is named Emphasis, and is defined as bold, 1 pt
smaller than my body style. For example, if my body style is 11-pt Arial, my
Emphasis style is 10-pt Arial Bold. and I use that for commands or other
items I want to stand out.

I also have a defined style for figures which I name Image or Illustration.
Depending on whether the company style is captions before or after images,
the picture style is automatically called after a Caption paragraph, or
automatically brings up a Caption paragraph after it. The Image/Illustration
style sets the spacing above and below the figures, and centers them or sets
different margins than the Body Text.

I've had the best luck with tables if I enter the text that will become a
table with each column separated by tabs. Add header rows with the same
number of tabs (even if some columns do not have heads). At this point I
apply my Table paragraph styles to the text rows and headers. (I usually
have a plain Table Text, a Table Head, a Table List, and a Table Bullet
style, each with above and below spacing. I usually use 6 pt both above and
below, but will reduce that to fit an orphaned row or two on the same page
with the rest of the table.) Then I select all the text that will be part of
the table and use Table>Convert>Text to Table. Adjust the column sizes, and
add custom borders. If I want to bold a column or a row, I use the same
Emphasis character style I use in the text.
Note: If you have problems fitting text into the tables, go to Table>
Table Properties > Cell >Options, and reduce the default 0.08" left and
right side space between the text and the cell borders.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l