Re: CMS recommendation?

Subject: Re: CMS recommendation?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:29:34 -0800

I see this at StackOverflow:

SVN is one repo and lots of clients. GIT is a repo with lots of client
repos, each with a user. It's decentralised to a point where people can
track their own edits locally without having to push things to an external
server.

SVN is designed to be more central where GIT is based on each user having
their own GIT repo and those repos push changes back up into a central one.
For that reason, GIT gives individuals better local version control.

Meanwhile you have the choice between TortoiseGit
<http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/>, GitExtensions
<http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/> (and if you host your "central"
git-repository on github, their own client â GitHub for Windows
<http://windows.github.com/>).

If you're looking on getting out of SVN, you might want to evaluate Bazaar
<http://bazaar-vcs.org/> for a bit. It's one of the next generation of
version control systems that have this distributed element. It isn't POSIX
dependant like git so *there are native Windows builds* and it has some
powerful open source brands backing it.

But you might not even need these sorts of features yet. Have a look at the
features, advantages and disadvantages of the distributed VCSes
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_revision_control>. If you need
more than SVN offers, consider one. If you don't, you might want to stick
with SVN's (currently) superior desktop integration.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa