Re: Advice for interviewing new tech writers

Subject: Re: Advice for interviewing new tech writers
From: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Kelly Smith <KellyMJSmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:44:37 -0600

What you need, at least as much as input on hiring, is to communicate with
all the people who head the divisions supported by tech writers and get
agreement that there must be one central authority on matters like styles,
version control, document quality criteria, and control of access to
document libraries. Then you need to get them to agree that you are it.
Even if you won't be actually supervising that other writer, you need to
get buy-in to having common standards. A company has to provide one face
to the outside world or customers won't know what to expect.

Look for people who actually seem to enjoy writing. They'll be more likely
to get satisfaction from the work and will be easier to handle.