Re: Where are the limits of Business Requirements Documents / Software Requirements Specifications?

Subject: Re: Where are the limits of Business Requirements Documents / Software Requirements Specifications?
From: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Uwe Ziegenhagen <ziegenhagen -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:24:15 -0600

I was taught that business requirements should explain what functions a
product should provide in order to allow the user to accomplish some goal.
Those include front-end functions that say what a user should be able to
see and do, and back-end functions that say what the product has to do in
order to effect communications between the user and the core. As far as how
those functions are implemented, things like whether the user is given a
pulldown list instead of a clump of option buttons, what kind of data
format is used to pass information to the back end, those are enumerated in
a functional requirements document, which is focused more narrowly. The BRD
is what the user should expect, the FRD is how the user is given what he
should expect. Despite the name, business requirements do not necessarily
have to do with dollars and cents, and they can be developed by anyone who
has a clue what the product is meant to do. Business analysts definitely
can play a key role in that, but any tech writer who has more than a couple
of years of experience in a development environment should be able to come
up with useful BRDs. There is often a great deal of overlap between those
two jobs.