Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?

Subject: Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:15:10 -0400

You are GROSSLY underpaid. As for your commute, no one caresâthat's your
problem. Faced with a similar commute a year ago on one contract, after a
month onsite I negotiated a work-from-home arrangement. After a year, I
bumped up my hourly rate by $5.00. It's all doable, but each one of us has
to manage our own careers. The days of any company feeling loyal to you are
LONG gone; publicly-owned companies answer to Wall Street.

As a suggestion, I'd build out your LinkedIn profile. Look at some that
others on this list have created. Recruiting agencies would take a pass on
your profile, if they found it at all, simply because there aren't
sufficient keywords that they search on.

For starters, your [Summary] section says very little. And the [Skills]
section should be demoted, inasmuch as *anyone* can endorse youâ
*whoop-dee-do*. Getting actual written recommendations carries far more
weight.
Get a Glassdoor account and sign up for their job postings. After being
extensively interviewed for a full-time position, I got one contract
through a Glassdoor lead (after sending a LinkedIn InMail to the company
president). And I'm in the interviewing stages right now as the result of
another Glassdoor lead. Glassdoor's blog posts are good reading, too.

Blindly sending out resumes will NOT get you a new job in today's world.
You need to be far more proactive and use guerrilla marketing techniques to
even get considered.

> Chris