Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions

Subject: Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl6955 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:58:36 -0400

Ed said:

> Please explain your point a bit more, I am interested.

...and my point was....

>> We should probably note for the benefit of
>> the majority of readers on this list, in the context of this discussion
>> Ed's use of the word "contractor" is very different from the normal tech
>> comm usage.

Ed's use of the word "contractor" was different from normal tech comm
usage because thee US government use of the word "contractor" is
different from what many of us in the profession mean when we use the
word "contractor."

I was considered a contractor for the US Air Force for a few years,
while working in the system program office for the USAF data network.

I was a full-time employee of a private company, L-3. I collected a
salary. I did not work hourly. I got medical benefits. I got sick
time. I got vacation time. I was on a retirement plan. I had quarterly
reviews from my L-3 manager.

Because L-3 had the contract to provide manpower to the program
offices at the base, my job description was "contractor."

Recall in the news several years ago, as US troops were drawing down
in Iraq, they were replaced with armed "contractors?" Yeah, same
thing, except for being tech writers employed by L-3 they were armed
guys employed by Blackwater. Mercenaries, yes, but same principle.

I was a mercenary tech writer.

Does that help?

--Rick Lippincott
I explain things.